Junior/Senior High Youth Group
Calvary’s Youth Group is open to any 7-12th grade youth, regardless of religious affiliation. This fellowship group provides Junior and Senior High youth the opportunity to learn and grow in their faith with God through Christ, shared in fellowship and discussion groups; retreats; mission activities; and participating with other United Methodist youth groups and Conference events.
Activities include Skye Farm Retreats, hiking, and trips, such as Hershey Park! The you also supports fundraisers for mission projects and youth group activities, including pancake breakfasts, Super Bowl snacks, and Dulcimer Festival luncheon.
Each year in May, the Youth Group also develops and leads Sunday morning worship.
Youth Group meetings are held the first and third Sunday of each month from 6:00pm – 7:30pm in the youth room.
Youth Group is led by Evan Melanson, Director of Youth Ministry.
Mission Opportunities for Youth
There are several opportunities throughout the year to spread God’s message, they include:
- Mission of Peace – an opportunity for a youth to travel to places like India, Nicaragua, Cuba, China, etc to learn how they worship God. This is coordinated through the Northeastern Jurisdictional Council.
- Collect Aluminum Tabs to support the Shriners Hospital in Boston
- Serve meals at the Capital City (Albany) Rescue Mission
- Provide a monthly stipend to Compassion International to support an “adopted youth” in Burkina Faso, Africa
Fellowship with Methodist Youth
Calvary participates in the Upper New York Annual Conference Youth Gathering in Syracuse in late April. Youth gather to share a unique message, in a youth organized environment.
Every four years the Methodist Youth hold a national gathering. In the past these events have been held in Greensboro, NC and Purdue University, Indiana. This is a 5-day event with over 8,000 youth to share their love for Christ and learn new ways to spread his message.
Leadership ∙ Character ∙ Confidence
Calvary’s King’s Kids is a theater group open to all Calvary Youth grades 4 through 12. The purpose of this group is to help young people develop confidence, leadership and character by performing on stage in a fun, stress-free atmosphere.
- The group generally meets on Thursday, 4:30-6:00 PM and Saturday (times variable) when preparing a performance.
- The King's Kids Council is open to all youth from 9th through 12th grade. The council is responsible for helping with directing, music, choreography, costumes, set design, lights and all other aspect of the production. The main focus of the council is to act as mentors to the younger members.
King's Kids is led by Jim Daly, with the assistance of volunteers, parents and the Council.